Sunday, May 3, 2009

With Liberty and Justice and Healthcare for All

At the end of our Pledge of Allegiance, we say with liberty and justice for all. For way to many Americans, Healthcare is added to this Wish List. The following is a reprint from the website: WWW.healthcareproblems.org/health-care-statistics.htm . The information is spelled out much clearer and understandable than I could have done.
Healthcare is one of the top social and economic problems facing Americans today. The rising cost of medical care and health insurance is impacting the livelihood of many Americans in one way or another. The inability to pay for necessary medical care is no longer a problem affecting only the uninsured, but is increasingly becoming a problem for those with health insurance as well.
Nearly 50 million Americans do not have health insurance, while another 25 million are underinsured.
The amount people pay for health insurance increased 30 percent from 2001 to 2005, while income for the same period of time only increased 3 percent, as reported by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
The typical family health insurance plan costs $12,000 a year or more.
Healthcare expenditures in the United States exceed $2 trillion a year. In comparison, the federal budget is $3 trillion a year.
The underinsured are those who have health insurance but still struggle to pay their healthcare bills. Many of them are faced with rising health care premiums, deductibles, and copayments, as well as limits on coverage for various services or other limits and excluded services that can increase out-of-pocket expenses. The following statistics were part of a study conducted by the Commonwealth Fund and recently published in the online version of the Health Affairs journal.
The number of people who are underinsured has grown 60 percent to 25 million over the past four years.
The fastest growing segment of the underinsured are middle and upper income families. The rate of underinsured for those with incomes of $40,000 or more nearly tripled, to 11 percent.
The highest rate of underinsurance is in families with incomes under the poverty level (about $20,000), at 31 percent.

HealthPac Online publishes the following: The United States is the only wealthy, industrialized nation that does not have a universal health care system. Source: Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences
These are pretty grim statistics for a country that promotes patriotism, freedom and a willingness to die for our country. Is it to much to ask for our country to give us a little more in return?


When I researched the reasons, for our Healthcare System to be the way it is, I was appalled at my findings. Conservative Democrats as well as Republicans, continually through the years, have stonewalled and kept the Average American Citizen from a Comprehensive Healthcare System. This is a disgrace when you consider that our Politicians, enjoy Healthcare benefits for life, once they have achieved Office. The belief of Capitalism and Free Trade, touted by Lobbyists and Politicians from both parties, with ties to the Healthcare industry, have used their influences to obtain their wealth and financial well being at the expense of Lives of American Citizen’s. I believe, this is reprehensible and calls for an uprising in this Country against our Political System that holds us hostage from what should be considered, an inalienable right to us.

I call upon the Obama Administration to take the lead and finally, put to rest, the Healthcare issue in this Country. We make sure Militarily, Economically and Socially, we are second to none. I implore all our Politicians, from both parties, to do the same for Healthcare. I believe the American People are fed up and want this issue resolved or maybe the next revolution will go beyond the Voting Booth.

That’s how I see it.

1 comment:

  1. I have fantastic medical benefits by comparison and I'm lucky for that. I pay almost more than I can afford for my coverage, and (lucky me) my "health" has given me more than I could have asked for (can you sense the sarcasm?), but that said I'm getting by. Do I compromise in order to take care of my health? Yes. I shouldn't have to. I think health should be an inalienable right. What's the use in freedom and justice if you're too sick to use it? And speaking of freedom, why can't everyone choose their own doctors on their own schedule? And why should I have to pay more to use one hospital over another? I can't help where I get sick or injured, but my insurance company can sure double my co-pay because I'm a little too far from home. And let's not even touch prescription costs because drug companies are insane. "Here, we have this pill to help you feel better but, oops, you can't afford it AND food so you're out of luck". Choosing between basic necessities and medication should never be an issue. But once you make the appt., wait 3 weeks to see the Dr., take time off work, pay that co-pay, drive to the pharmacy, pay that co-pay and hopefully start feeling better (or have to do it all over again) and God forbid it's a chronic condition requiring repeated visits and prescriptions... it adds up, very quickly, and I see why it's such a huge issue in this country. It's disgusting that anyone should ever have to work being sick into their budget. No one should have to postpone medical treatment because they have to save up for a copay, but I've been there and it's a horrible thing to have to do. But I still have it better than most. Ain't that some shit lol. On the other hand, would "free" medical coverage really be free? Nooo. Of course not. We'd all share that responsibility as tax payers and I can see even longer waiting room lines and less desire for kids to want to grow up to be doctors to take care of our sick asses. Just brings us back around to "nothing in life is free".

    ReplyDelete