Friday, May 8, 2009

I Had a Dream

On August 28, 1963, Dr. Martin Luther King jr. stood on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. and delivered his famous I Had a Dream speech. It was a rousing and lengthy speech about race relations in our Nation at that time. The words Dr. King spoke were of hope, that our Nation would overcome the prejudices of racial tension and turmoil that were present during that time. One sentence, which has stuck with me through my years, from when I was a child who listened to this speech, was; I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
http://www.juntosociety.com/hist_speeches/mlkihad.html

As a small boy, I was very taken by this man and his speech. I consider him one the heroes in my life. From the day of that speech, I tried to live my life, with that philosophy in mind. When I found myself beginning to think racial bias, I would remember Dr. King’s words and do my best, to see the good and potential in a person, instead of racist hate. This was not easy since my upbringing came from a very racially prejudiced family. Over the years, I have forged many a friendship from all racial backgrounds. But, a case that is in front of the Supreme Court makes me shudder in the belief that we could be returning to those dark days of racial strife. That case involves the New Haven Connecticut Fire Department.

I have researched through the internet to obtain various opinions on this case. I am very disturbed with the sharp contrast in beliefs from a Left Wing Website or Blogger and a Right Wing. I guess that is natural but, it appears no one remembers the days where rioting was a common event and protest marches were part of the evening news. Through the years we, as a Nation, appear to have eclipsed the barriers of racial bias. The fact, that we have elected the first African American President, stands as testimony to this fact.

I implore the Supreme Court, to make the decision necessary, to keep this country from sliding back down the slippery slope of quotas and racial bias. If these Justices fail to do so, the words of a dream, from a very famous and wise activist, will fade and become meaningless in a time, where so much as been achieved.

That’s how I see it.

1 comment:

  1. amen. i don't mean to make everything a left/right issue, but it's the truth. support of racial quotas, affirmative action, etc in this day and age, to me, indicates true racism. and i don't mean so-called reverse racism. it tells me that you do not feel that one who is a minority is smart enough, good enough or is willing to work hard enough to make it on their own.

    those people like to argue that racism still exists, and it does to some extent, but not from your average small business owner, hr person, hiring manager, etc. those who are still racist in this country tend to be those who share the lower socioeconomic class that many minorities have traditionally been in. they're competing for work basically. excuse the term, but the word redneck comes to mind. i don't see too many jeff foxworthy's making the hiring decisions.

    ReplyDelete